Saturday, August 22, 2009

Who usually pays for the wedding, the parents of the bride, groom, both or other?

I am 23 years old woman and currently single but my parents told me the other day that if I ever got married, they would contribute no more than $1000 to my wedding. Do the parents of the bride usually pay for the wedding or is not not how tradition works anymore? They said that since they had to pay for their wedding on with their own money (my Mom's parents were both dead by the time she got married so that's why) then I should too. Does that seem weird to anyone or just how it goes?


Man in this economy, everyone needs to chip in some money!

Tradition is it's the parent's of the bride who pay for most everything, if it's a first marriage and the bride is fairly young (like 23 or there about). The groom's side pays for the men's clothing, bride's bouquet, any fees for the wedding ceremony site (not the reception) and the gratuity or fee for the officiant. I can't remember if they also spring for the rehearsal dinner or not.

Weddings are expensive and many people just don't have the money to throw one, no matter how much they may want to do that for their little girl. It is quite an extravagance.

Many couples, especially if they are getting a little older do it all themselves. They opt out of the lavish wedding and reception, in favor of an intimate destination wedding and honeymoon. It's much more practical and more fun.

In tradition its suppose to be the brides parents/ mainly the father of the bride but its the same if both do. But these day many cpls pay for their own wedding since they are very pricy and a financial burden. Many cpls will hold Jack and Jills and charge about 5-10 dollars a ticket to get in so that money can go to the New couple whether it be to reimburse them for wedding expenses or other things.. the jack and jill is usually held before the wedding, about a month or so. but if the parents do have money they usually, they will help. I hope this helps

Typically the bride and groom pay for the wedding themselves. It is believed by most people that if you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to figure out how to pay for it yourselves and that no one else (guests, parents, gov't or the local bank) is responsible for doing so if you can't afford something.

Marriage and weddings are becoming so different now, not going by tradition is normal. I do believe the "tradition" is the brides parents pay for the wedding, but there's plenty of weddings the brides parents don't approve of so you, your groom, their parents, or whoever else wants to can contribute or pay for the whole thing.

It's your wedding, your marriage, and your responsibility. Why does it seem weird to you that your parents ONLY offered you $1,000? Earn a dollar if you want to do something that costs money. Your parents aren't obligated to get into debt over something that you want. If the parents want to contribute then that's generous of them to do. If you & your fiance are broke then that's your issue.

I know the old tradition was for the brides parents to pay for it, my dad did, but he is very financialy well to do. But thses days people arent as traditional. A lot of times the couple themselves are paying for their own.

I say dont worry about who should... take the money from whoever will give it, if his parents will chip some money in and you guys can afford to spend some along with your parents do it, do whatever makes it work for you.

Well I do not think that most people actually go off tradition anymore. My mother is just not financially able to help because she has made nothing but bad choices her entire life and does not have $5 to her name most of the time. I knew that. My fiancess father has offered to help to pay for the rehersal dinner, but that is it. His mother, who has more money than everyone else combined told us that she is not paying for a sons wedding...only her daughters, so we did not get any help from her either. So we have had to pay for it ourselves and that was that. Most all of my friends have for the most part had to pay for their weddings. It is tradition I guess, but most people either do not want to follow it or they cannot financially. I say, just expect to pay for it yourself.

Thats how it goes.

The 'tradition' of who pays is totally out the window these days and I think brides & grooms ought to pay for their own weddings. Its great if your parents can contribute something - be grateful for their offer - but don't expect anything of them.

I've paid for everything of significant price in my life - vehicles, college, my house and now my own wedding. I think it helps a couple be responsible with spending when its their own money and not someone else's.

Traditionally the bride's parents pay for the wedding, the grooms parents pay for the engagement dinner. My husband and I both paid for our own wedding so that no one would tell us what to do and how to do it (it didn't really work). If your parents contribute $1000 it's very nice of them--they really shouldn't be obligated to pay anything (I think).

usually the parents of the bride pay for most of the wedding but it just depends on the parents. with my wedding my mom paid for most of it, but my husband's parents paid for rehearsal dinner, a portion of our honeymoon, and the photographer, and the open bar at the reception but thats because my husband's parents are very wealthy and my mom just has a limited income. my husband and i had to pay for some too. we paid for the dj, the wedding party's gifts, our bridal suite for the night of rehearsal dinner and the wedding night, me and my bridesmaids hair and makeup, and a few other little things. our wedding was a total of about $40,000. my mom probably paid $25,000 my inlaws paids around $12,000 and we paid about $3,000.

tradition says both parents pay, normaly mainly the brides parents pay for most of it while the groom and parents pay for like the flowers and stuff.

but today it's the bride and groom themselves that pay unless the parents say other wise or offer.

my parents are stickler for tradition.. my father wants to pay as much as he can towards the wedding and my mom seconds it because i am the only daughter.

i m from india and the trasition here is that all the expenses of the wedding are borne by the parents of the bride.

the only expense borne by the groom is when they throw a party after the wedding.

Traditionally, the brides parents pay for it, but now, its whoever is willing and can afford it. My parents are paying for my wedding, but if I were older and could afford it, I would have paid it.

Nowadays, people don't do the whole tradition thing. For my wedding, we paid for mostly everything but both our parents contributed a little to it.

These days, the couple usually pays for the wedding themselves.

that tradition is pretty close to dead! It's much more common now for the bride and groom to pay for it themselves with whatever help they get from families.

Used to be the girls parents. But, I think it is o.k. to help pay with your bf too.

Parents of the Bride.Should pay...

i always thot the brides parents paid

I think that the bride and groom should pay for most of it - especially if they have extravagant taste!

Both sets of parents should chip in what they can.

I certainly dont think that the brides parents should pay for everything - weddings can easily cost $10,000!

My partner and I expect to pay for all of ours. Any money we get from our parents would be a bonus. Im not expecting much from his mum - she is dirt poor most of the time and my partner's dad has been absent his whole life - they're not in contact.

My parents could easily pay for the whole wedding but I dont expect them to and I wouldnt want them to. We're independant, we can pay for our wedding ourselves...if they want to chip in, that would be up to them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner