Tuesday, August 25, 2009

When the man in black in the novel The Princess Bride dives into the lighting sand what does he think?

In the novel not the movie The Princess Bride there is a part when the man in black dives into the lighting sand to rescue princess buttercup. I think it is on of most romantic things ever and I would love to share it with a girl I like. (I will site the source I wont steal) If anyone knows the part and could list it that would be great. I'm in sweden right now and I can't find the book anywere and it's not on the internet.


OoO. I love that book. There is also a movie. Which is good to.

If it's shortly after they enter the Fire Swamp, then we already know it's Westley (and it is the Snow Sand...I only know these things because I am looking this up right now). I'm assuming it is one of these two parts, found on page 181 in my edition:

"The Snow Sand had his ears and nose blocked, and he hoped she had not panicked, had remembered to sprea- eagle her body, so that he could catch her quickly with his headlong dive. If she remembered, it wouldn't be that hard--the same, really, as rescuing a drowning swimmer in murky water. They floated slowly down, you dove straight down, you kicked, you pulled with your free arm, you gained on them, you grabbed them, you brought them to the surface, and the only real problem then would be convincing your grandchildren that such a thing had actualy happened and was not just another family fable."

"To release the vine was truly madness. There was no posibility of forcing your body all the way back up to the surface. A few feet of ascension was possible if you kicked wildly, but no more. So if he let go of the vine and did not find her within a finger snap, it was all up for both of them. Westley let go of the vine without a qualm, because he had come to far to fail now; failure was not even a problem to be considered...Westley threw the [skeleton's] wrist away and reached out blindly with both hands now, scrabbling wildly to touch some part of her, because failure was not a problem; failure is not a problem, he told himself; it is not a problem to be considered, so forget failure; just keep busy and find her, and he found her."

If you still don't find it, there are a few more passages to take, but I'm pretty sure it's the first quote supplied.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner