Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Would a bride be interested in having a personal maid for the day?

After being in yet another wedding I thought that this seemed like the perfect idea. I am considering starting a business offering maid service to brides on the day of their wedding. The service would be customizable. I would wear a uniform, something classic and wait on the bride throughout the day.

It may start off with breakfast in bed, helping her dress, painting her nails and helping with her hair and makeup. I have taken classes as a nail tech so I could offer these services.

Throughout the day I would keep annoying family members away, make sure things are going as planned, fetch drinks and appetizers and help the bride in the bathroom if she needs it. I could also do foot and shoulder massages for her if she gets tense.

The service would round out by having me clean the newlywed home before they return from their honeymoon.


I think it's a cool idea, i like it. I'm a wedding planner and sometimes we can't pamper the bride this way. We are busy looking over the big picture of the day, flower delivery, making sure the decor is right, cake delivery etc, etc. Unfortunately not all bridesmaids pamper their bride this way. I would be nice to have someone exclusively for the bride and nothing else. Great idea!!

you would be her bridal personal assistant, not her maid. and you could market this to wedding planners who could employ you for their brides.

it could work.

i think thats a great idea ha ha come to the Dominican republic and help me out ha ha im just kidding its in a resort so i have all the help i will need but yah go for it!!!

It would be a great idea as not all bridesmaids are very helpful. It could work!

Me, I wouldnt go for this type of service. I really dont like the thought of a stranger shadowing me on the day of my wedding. That would make me very uncomfortable.

I had breakfast with my bridesmaids and girlfriends, my bridesmaids helped me get dressed, we all went to the salon for hair and makeup, and no one in my family is so annoying that I couldnt talk to them!! And I wouldnt want someone else cleaning my home, either.

Yes! The bridesmaids have a lot of things to do anyway, so it would be great to have extra help. The massages would be nice, and I'm sure a lot of brides would appreciate not having to go out to get their hair & nails done (if they intend to have that done professionally, that is.

I would personally LOVE to have my home cleaned before returning from the honeymoon (even if it's not a new home). Certainly, the bride and groom won't have time to do a very thorough job of that before the wedding.

An idea: if you want to extend your services, you could come to clean the couple's home (if they already live together) or one of their individual homes before the wedding, maybe even just once. That way they will know you and the bride will feel comfortable with you.

This will work especially well in a somewhat urban area. Most cities over 50,000 or 100,000 probably have enough brides with the money to support a business like this.

You sound like a great entreprenuer! Go for it!

I've never been comfortable with having "staff" as I am far more used to being the one that looks after everyone else. I would say there there are plenty of girls out there that would LOVE to have staff for the day, good luck with your business.

That's a lot of stuff for one woman to do! I think you'd probably have a lot more to do than that too....especially if the bride acts like a bridezilla and makes you a slave rather than a maid.

If you want to risk that, then that's your choice. Personally, I would not want to put so much responsibility on one person when planning my wedding (just in case-sorry to be brutal- you turn out to not be that great).

Good luck.

It's called a "Day-Of Coordinator," and it already exists.

In principle, I think your idea isn't that bad. But I'd concentrate more on the menial tasks of the day, rather than offering "personal" services.

If I had the money, I wouldn't mind hiring someone to be a gopher on my wedding day ... keep track of vendors, hang onto my makeup kit in case I need a touchup, hand out tips after the reception's over, coordinate the setup/cleanup and gather all my things after the party (cake topper, toasting flutes, to-go bag of food, etc.).

But I wouldn't want to hire a stranger to help me get dressed and help me use the bathroom. That's just creepy. Really, REALLY creepy. If I was going to ask anyone for help with personal things, I'd ask my closest friends. And as far as massages, nails and hair, I'd hire a professional, not a "maid."

Oh my God that would have been awesome on my wedding day! No offense to my bridesmaids, but my 10 year old niece was more help to me on my wedding day than they were. She helped me find stuff, got me food, and even helped me use the restroom. Half the time I couldn't even find a bridesmaid. I think your idea is a fantastic one and good luck to you.

I wouldnt hire you. Most of your services are stuff that people like the bridesmaids do for free anyway.

I think is sounds like a great idea. I had a good friend help me out with these things the day of the wedding. She just stepped up to the plate and did it and it really helped my sanity.

Perhaps you should connect with wedding coordinators and meet the brides prior to the wedding, so that you will not be a complete stranger on the wedding day. Also, a maid's uniform might be too distracting for the event. I think dressing business casual, or better yet asking the bride the manner you should dress for her wedding, would be the best approach.

Also, I agree with the others... if I were you I wouldn't call myself a "maid." Maybe Bridal Assistant?

Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner