Thursday, September 3, 2009

Is it ok to wear a dark beigey cream dress to a wedding where the bride is wearing ivory?

I'm going to a wedding in Florida in a month and because of the lack of summery dresses available in the UK at the moment the only dress I can get hold of is a really nice prom-style silk one, which is nonetheless dark cream/beige in colour! Will the bride be really offended (she is my boyfriend's sister and the last thing I want to do is offend her!!!) What are the general rules regarding this?!


as long as it's more of a dark beige rather than cream or ivory / white, then you should be fine - especially for a wedding in Florida!

my best friend got married nearly 2 years ago now and she wore ivory, i thought she was wearing white, so i brought a very expensive cream trouser suit, luckily i wore a black top underneath so i wasnt clashing with her, i think its ok if you do what someone else on here suggested, brighten it up with a scarf or or something, so you dont feel so concious (sorry spelling lol ) about it so much. I hope its a lovely day and you find a solution to your dilemma....

i wore a white dress to my cousins wedding as a protest for her getting married on my 21st birthday and my family making me attend. ha, but if you dont want to offend find something else!

okay, seriously. its so nice that youre concerned about your sister-in-law to be! :) people should read to much into what you wear to a wedding, ya know? a dress is a dress. the bride will look beautiful if she is beautiful, if not, so be it. and look hot! :) have fun. and im sure she'll be fine with it.

don't think it will make much difference but be careful you could end up as the bride by mistake

if its darker as you say then it shouldnt be a problem

There aren't any rules that I know of. I once thought it was taboo or bad luck to wear black to a wedding. Sounds like a lovely color choice and there shouldn't be any row about it...

you should vever wear any shade close to the bride

For a church wedding, it's usually advisable to wear something on the darker side, ie., navy, black, etc, simply for the reason that you mentioned-- you don't want to blend in with the bride (or her with you). However, if this is an outdoor wedding-- on the beach or wherever-- a lighter color dress is more appropriate and acceptable.

NO i certainly wouldnt wear a cream/beige dress to a wedding, you need one with more colour. im sure you cant have looked everywhere to find a good dress. try looking at different shops on the internet for ideas

may be yes "you state like a prom/style " thats asking for attention :::: in that climate you will wear light colours , but try to tone down the dress :::(make an impact at the reception?)

I live in California where fashion rules are alot more relaxed, but I think that this would be a great question to ask your boyfriend's sister! You could pose it so that she could give you a "no" if she wanted to: "Do you think I might wear this color dress to your wedding, or would that upset others? I want to do the right thing." That gives the bride the option to say yes or no without fearing she offends YOU! Have a lovely time at the wedding!

Yes.... Wear what you like the tradition is don't where white however now days you can get away with just about any thing. You don't want to over shine the bride is the point. Example I would not go to a wedding with a huge hat with rhinestones and feathers and a white mink (unless I was at celeb gala)

First, find out what everyone else is wearing.....I was taught that you don't wear white or ivory to a wedding, it distracts from the bride...I went to a wedding once and wore a blue dress---and everyone else wore white! I stand out like a sore thumb in the wedding photos, I felt like such an idiot...contact as many as you can and find out what they are wearing or if there is some sort of rule as to what everyone SHOULD be wearing...I learned that lesson the hard way...

As long as it is not the same color as the bride's gown you should be fine

ask the bride before u buy anything.ask other attendees what theyr wearing and try to get somethin similar. u dont want to be the one every1 stares at goin "oh my god!just look at that!" so be sure u blend in somewhat

Buy one in Florida

I would play it safe and not wear it. Just go on a big shopping spree at home or while you're in Florida. If you can't find one at all you'll just have to wear the dress as a last resort.

I wouldn't wear a white dress to a wedding, but the colour you're describing sounds fine to me

It's fine to wear that color dress but, you have to down-play it a little bit so that you don't seem to be competing with the bride.

Never wear anything that will take away from the bride! It is her day...let her shine! Wear something you like but don't wear her bridal colors.

The rule of thumb is to never wear the same color as the bride. If need be, dress it up with another color with a belt, or shawl, or wait to purchase a dress in Florida.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner