Thursday, September 3, 2009

What do you do when you're the bride and your own mom seems ambivalent?

Most brides with mom-trouble have it because their moms are meddling or over-planning.... But what if your mom seems to have NO interest in your plans? It's really disconcerting.


Listen, I had the EXACT problem with my wedding and I'm a Wedding Planner. My mom seemed disinterested and made me feel alone in the whole thing. I finally talked to her about it and guess what? She was just upset at "losing" her only child. When we talked about it, she finally came round, helped me pick out my gown, gave floral advice. It was great. She wasn't overbearing but didn't disappear either at mention of the wedding. That's what every bride wants!

So, my advice - talk to your mom!

Hi

For every bride out there who has had or will have a meddling Mum, they must be envying you at this moment. How come you haven't simply asked her why she is so reluctant to get involved?

Maybe she is waiting for you to ask her or maybe she has heard how the Bride can sour things with their sometimes over acheiving efforts. You might also find out that she doesn't want to get on the wrong side of you and have you doing your block at her over something and say that "she"is spoiling your plans, it' just not worth it. Or possibly she is not as into it as much as you hoped she would be.

Whatever happens, just enjoy your time organising and enjoying your special day.

Cya

:)

My mum shows little interest. I expected her to be this way though as she has been like this my whole life. I don't tell her squat. She didn't even show up for my dress fitting when I specifically made the appointment to be on her day off. My dress has been picked since Janurary and today was the first time she has ever seen it. She hasn't even asked about the planning or if I needed her to do anything. In fact, most of the time she changes the subject. I am getting married in 5 weeks. There is nothing you can do about it except learn to not be disappointed because you know what she is like. I know that if I have no expectations, I have no disappointment. It probably doesn't help you but I know exactly how you feel and I know that it sucks. Don't let this ruin your experience though. You don't need your mum to be interested to have an amazing wedding day. The thing I am grateful for is that I know how I am NOT going to be when it's my own daughters turn to get married. She wi
ll have a loving mother who will be more than interested and excited for her. Good luck and congrats

Your mom may have other things on her mind, or not be interested.

Don't worry about it. My mom wasn't interested much either. Part of it is because she was pressured into a wedding that was bigger than she wanted, because her mom wanted it. So she stood back and didn't get involved.

Until the person who was making my cake backed out at the last minute - then she, and my soon to be mother in law, got together to help me bake my own the day before the wedding.

First off, I'm sorry about your mom not having any interest in the wedding. I can relate; my mom was like that before, but she's now warmed up to the idea of me moving away and getting married.

If you haven't already, have a heart-to-heart conversation with her. Ask her why she isn't interested. Maybe wedding planning isn't her "thing" or she just doesn't want to "lose" her daughter. Tell her your feelings about everything and how you'd love for her to be included in the planning.

Best of luck to you!

That's horrible!!! I'm sorry for your situation. Have you tried speaking with her? That's the best thing to do. It such an odd thing for a mother not be involved in her daughter's big day. Was she always a little distant from you or was she always a little lackluster in the mothering department? If so, you can't really change the way that she is. If not, talk to her. Perhap she is unsure of her place in planning your big day.

Can you send her a pre-wedding note saying that you love her and look forward to having her support on your wedding day?

I mom died when I was a baby. I'm getting married in June 2009, and my dad has informed me that he is not planning to attend (he told me that since he came to my first wedding, it should be enough...).

Just count your blessings that you will be be able to have your mother with your on this very special day. She doesn't have to do anything else but to be there.

I would be disconcerted by that. My mother and my now husband's Mother spent my entire engagement fussing over the details of the wedding. Have you asked her? There could be a myriad of reasons.

Perhaps she is unsure about your Fiance? or finding it difficult to face 'losing' you. Maybe she has some objection to your current plans...I couldn't second guess it, but it IS unusual and it is worth a conversation with her about it.

There could be a lot of reasons for this. My mother was very hands off in the planning, and really this is better if you want things a certain way and she disagrees. But understand your feelings--not many of my friends seemed that into all the planning either (I guess this is what I get for not being such a girly girl). Try to find one friend at least who is legitimately interested in your planning and will not mind hearing about it and talk to that person instead. Don't read to much into your mom's ambivalence as long as she is happy for you and shows up!

Not all moms are into wedding planning. It doesn't mean that she loves you or your groom any less. Just accept that about her, and try not to be distressed over it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner