Monday, September 7, 2009

What is the custom of the bride carrying or wearing a hankerchief for the wedding ceremony?

My friend is getting married & the topic came up while thinking of something old, I have a large collection of old hankies & thought there was a tradition related to them. Anyone out there know?


Lovely idea. The wedding handkerchief is often kept and passed down from mother to daughter and from generation to generation. Early farmers thought a bride's wedding day tears were lucky and brought rains for their crops. Later, a crying bride meant that she'd never shed another tear about her marriage. Today, we carry a handkerchief to dab away the tears of happiness and joy.

I think a vintage, lacy hankie would be a wonderful addition for the bride to carry. She could save it to hand down as the other reader suggested, also it could be used to make a bonnet for her baby if she has one....Check out atticshoppe.com for info and a small poem that can go with it.

I don't know what type of gown your friend is wearing, but if she had a smaller size hankie and a simple gown, a lovely vintage pin would be beautiful to wear with the hankie

I would think it's custom combined with necessity. Wedding handkerchiefs are considered an heirloom, passed from one generation to the next, but as a woman getting married in a few weeks' time, I know that I'll NEED a hanky because I cry at other people's weddings. I will almost certainly be crying at mine. (For joy, people, for joy!) I don't have an heirloom hanky but plan to use a lovely lace one anyway. That way I'll look cute even when I'm crying.

There is an Irish tradition of carrying a handkerchief on your wedding day. You're supposed to save it and stitch it into a bonnet for your first child. Then they can later use it for their wedding. The process is only a couple of quick stitches. Good luck!

* Magic Hanky. This charming custom involves having the bride carry a special hanky that with a few stitches can be turned into a christening bonnet for the first baby. With a couple of snips it can be turned back into a hanky that your child can carry on his/her wedding day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner