Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Amy, Jake and Jimmy


Image : http://www.flickr.com


I heard the sound before I realized it was a blow out, thanking my lucky stars that I had slowed down back there when I had seen the warning for ice.

I took my foot off the gas remembered not to stomp on the brakes, I gently applied pressure, while looking for a wide spot to pull off the highway. There it was, a lane up ahead just a short distance.

Edging off the road and minding not to block the driveway, I got stopped and safely off the road. Stepping out of the car, the wind whipping past my ears reminded me of the winter storm that was assailing us, I wrapped my scarf more tightly around my neck.

Trying to see through the blowing snow, I decided there was none for it, but to walk down the lane to the farmhouse. Braving the snow was nothing compared to leaning into the wind hard enough to keep going and see where that, "going" was taking me.

I entered the farmyard and heard the dog's bark coming closer. Decidedly I refused to be frightened, knowing that though he would protect his territory, most likely he would not be a threat to anyone not overstepping their bounds of respect for the family and its possessions.

Right as I was, nevertheless, I was relieved to see the farmer approaching where I stood. Keeping with tradition of the Mid-West Farmer, he took my arm and led me to the house.

Once inside, I went into my explanation for walking into the yard in such a storm. "My question Missy is why on earth, are you out in a storm like this by yourself anyway?"

"Sir, I assure you when I started out this morning I had no idea the weather would turn to such a disastrous state before I got to my new home. You see, I just took a teaching spot for this year in town and as I am not familiar with your weather, I underestimated the time I would have before it turned sour!"

"Well, well, I guess we would have met later anyway, seeing our grandson will be going to first grade this year. What we need first is some hot coffee, then we can see about getting that car of yours back on the road."

"Yes, thank you, it does sound extremely good right now!"

After he had taken her coat and hung it on a chair close to the fire to dry, he went up the stairs to find, "Mother."

The door swung open again with a gust of wind and snow, as a young man walked in with his head down against the weather.

"Oh, hello, I didn't see a car outside!"

"Well, hello, I'm not surprised, you see I had a flat tire up the road and I walked down the lane to find some help."

"Wow, in this weather, well, I'm glad you made it, I shudder to think of your being a few miles up or down the road! Uhumm, it'll be our pleasure to help."

Why were all the good ones already taken? For she was certain this young man would qualify as the son of the farmer, who thus, would most likely be the father of the first grade grandson and the husband to the grandsons mother!

The farmer appeared and right on his heels, his wife, who hustled into the room with such concern for Amy's health, she almost forgot that this was the first time they had ever met. Amy saw right away she would be very happy in this small Midwest village, were this to be an example of how life would be.

"Mother", hastened to put on fresh hot coffee and a promise of supper to follow soon. Amy finally feeling the warmth of fire and friendship, followed her into the kitchen, offering her assistance. The farmer's wife gave some simple directions on where plates and flatware were to be found and directed Amy to set the table.

Noting the deft way Amy worked and the sweet attitude she gave off, settled Mothers heart, for knowing as she did, nothing happens by accident, she said a quick word of gratitude for the flat tire that had brought this dear girl to them.

Wondering as she set the plates Mrs. Johnson had numbered, who would be missing at supper, Amy's thoughts were interrupted as James Sr. came in with his grandson in tow and a cute sight he was! Amy was immediately disarmed by his charming manners.

Glad to be sat next to Jimmy, Amy started chatting before supper was completely ready. Trivia was a great way to put a child at ease, though Jimmy didn't appear to be in the least ill at ease in conversing with her.

She asked if he were looking forward to school this year, knowing he would be in her class, she was thankful for the opportunity to meet one of her students prior to school starting in a few weeks.

Jimmy, as a typical five, almost six year old, chatted aimlessly away, as his Grandmother set bowls of soup, roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy and hot biscuits on the table.

Jimmy's father showed up just before the last of the meal was placed on the table, with news that her tire was fixed and the car was out of the weather. The Johnson's had determined Amy was to stay out the storm with them.

Amy expressed her gratitude, though none could know that she secretly had some reserve for the ending of this treacherous weather.

Supper went off with such ease and comfort that Amy felt as though she had known these country folk for all of her life.

James Jr. or, "Jake" as he was called in order to lessen the confusion of names, offered to pour coffee at the end of supper, as they had retired to the living room.

Laughing the evening away as stories came out of past shenanigans and mischievous carryings on of Jake as a youngster and now Jimmy following in his footsteps, Amy found her new friends to be so very real and refreshing.

As matters settled down and got on to, a more calm note, Jake tousled Jimmy's hair and informed him bed time would be in just a few minutes. Jimmy only mildly complained, saying something to the effect that he didn't want to miss, Amy's company.

Jake reminded him of the hour and how he had already been permitted to stay up an hour past bedtime. Grandpa agreed that he too had stayed up later than usual and that he thought he and Grandma would go off to bed now also.

Mrs. Johnson had already placed fresh bedding on Jakes bed so that Amy would be comfortable, as Jake would sleep in Jimmy's room, Mrs. Johnson felt that Amy would find Jakes room the most appropriate for rest.

Amy felt a twinge of being an imposition, although no one made her feel that way in the least, quite the contrary she had never been made to feel so welcome in such a short time in her life.

Jake left to tuck Jimmy in to bed, as his Mother smiled a loving smile in his direction and said, "It is nice to have you here Amy, it was no accident, Jake has laughed more tonight than we have seen in the past four years, since he lost Maribeth. There were times when I thought he would never recover, tonight, has shown me there is hope, thank you, Dear."

"Do you mind my asking what happened?"

"No, Dear, of course not, she took ill after Jimmy was born, I'm not certain she ever fully recovered her health after Jimmy's birth. Maribeth was frail, she didn't enjoy life on the farm, Jake operated the Northern when he came home from college and Maribeth moved out here to be near him. They married the following year and she seemed to become more and more discontent with life. Jake blames himself for not taking her back to the city in time."

"It must be hard for him, although he has Jimmy and how wonderful to see in him, the person his Mother was, it must help."

"That's just it Dear, Maribeth wanted a life that was foreign to Jake, she knew he had money and thought he would take that money and leave the farm to live in the city. She told Jake that she would go with or without him but he thought she would adjust and asked her to spend one full year on the farm, then, if she were still unhappy, they would move to the city."

I think in a way that is why he has refused to see anyone else or even allow us to talk of such a thing, I believe he felt as though he had married wrongly and somehow that was what brought about the result of Maribeth's illness."

Jake came back into the room and Mrs. Johnson joined her husband and left the two alone in the sitting room.

Jake thanked Amy for her kindness toward Jimmy, saying he knew Jimmy was a handful of conversation, sometimes even bordering on the overbearing!

"Not at all, you remember I am a first grade teacher, I love children and the imagination and wonder they bring to life! Really I am quite impressed with the job you have done in bringing Jimmy up with such great manners and obvious love for yourself and his grandparents. He is a joy!"

"Thank you. I wonder if, when this storm is over and you are once again free to go, would it be alright if I come to see you some time?"

"I would like that Jake, very much, I feel as though I have known this family all of my life and here it has only been a matter of hours. Thank you for giving me such a warm welcome."

"You are easy to make welcome Amy and with that I think we should call it a night!"

"Agreed, thank you Jake for an extremely, interesting and enlightening evening."

As dawn found the family in full swing, Amy found herself joining in with the comrade and easygoing attitudes of this Mid Western family. So much of a wonder to her how something that could have started off on such a negative note, could turn out so great!

The weather promised change over the next 48 hours and Amy new that just as the weather showed promise of change, this move to the Mid West, promised extremely great change for her, Amy had come home!




Cheryl G Burke
http://cherylgburke.com/blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner