Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Mother of the Bride Wants to Look Great Too


Image : http://www.flickr.com


Sometimes the bride's mother, who has kept herself in good shape, looks at the selection of mother of the bride (MOB) gowns available and gets very discouraged. These gowns, short, tea length and long, are seemingly designed in a way to disguise heavy arms and waists. They come in an array of pastel colors with heavily beaded and sequined jackets and full chiffon skirts. I apologize to the women who find these outfits attractive, but don't find myself one of them.

The modern woman wants to look great at her daughter's wedding by dressing in a manner that flatters her figure and personality. Of course, this means avoiding revealing necklines, short skirts, daring slits and bold colored fabric. Since my daughter is getting married in September, I began looking at MOB gowns online and many of them resembled informal wedding gowns. They were ivory and had small lace trains at the back. This is a poor choice for the MOB, because no matter how good she looks, she might upstage her daughter as well as the mother of the groom.

The MOB and the mother of the groom will still want to consult one another on the color choice of their gowns. Typically, the bride's mother gets the first choice and tries to coordinate her gown with the colors worn by the bridesmaids. In my case, the mother of the groom is approximately 20 years older than I. After the wedding colors are chosen, I am going to defer to the MOG in both color and length of the gown. However, I am going to choose an age appropriate gown that is classic and form fitting for myself. (I have a small waist so I may as well show it.) Many women my age, myself included, want to look great on our daughter's big day.




Kathleen Mary is the owner of Beautiful Bridal specializing in discount tiaras, veils, bridal and bridesmaid jewelry. Visit our blog for wedding planning tips and money saving ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner