Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why do the bridesmaids spend the night before the wedding with the bride?

I'm about to be a bridesmaid for the first time, and I've been told that it is customary for the bridesmaids to stay with the bride in a motel the night before the wedding. Is this just a fun thing, or is it a tradition of some kind? Is there anything special I am supposed to do for this?


The bridesmaids stay with the bride the night before in order to do a number of things.

1. Ensure she is totally ready for the wedding. This is the time when she is an emotional roller coaster and needs support to make sure nothing is forgotten.

2. Help to ease the wedding day gitters. Most of the time, the night before is the worse time before the wedding. This is when all the negative thoughts start to surface and doubt enters the picture. The bridesmaid's are there to combat that as well. Wether it be by positive comments or totally doing something to take the brides mind off the negativity.

3. Ensure the wedding party is assemble. Once the bride see that her group is there and ready, then they can help making sure all the men get there on time as well, if possible.

4. Be her rock. No matter what happens, ensure her everything is going to go just as she planned. Remember these types of things mean way more to the woman than the man.

Hope it's a great wedding.

It's some fun girly time to bond with your best girls before the wedding. There will probably be lots of nervous excitement and giddiness, and sharing those feelings with your girlfriends is always the best. :)

I'm not sure, but maybe it's also rooted in some weird tradition based on the assumption that after you get married, you will be so busy with your husband and won't have as much time for the girls. That is ridiculous, of course, but in any case it's still fun to have a girl's night and to share this big occasion.

I have been a bridesmaid several weddings where we stayed in the same hotel room the night before and it was so much fun! However, recently as a bridesmaid the other bridesmaids (and me) tend to either be married or in serious relationships, and for out of town weddings the male partners didn't want to be alone in their paid hotel rooms for that night, ha ha, so sometimes we cut the night short before bedtime and went back to our respective rooms. Either way, it's one wedding tradition I actually like!

I've been in one wedding and I stayed the night with the bride with only one of the other bridesmaids. We both helped decorating the reception hall, and later that night we helped her with last minute things, double checked everything that she needed to bring with her the night before, and basically were there to talk with about the next day. It was a blast. I think it's just fun! We just stayed at her mom's house though since there was room. But I totally am considering renting a suite for my bridesmaids and myself for the night before.

Well the bride is not suppose to see the groom the next day until she walks down the isle... its bad luck. So she can't really stay with him.

The bride most likely will be nervous and anxious. You will have to make her feel at ease. I would do something for her ( but normally its not expected). Some idea's depending on what you are into :

Have a girls night in...Do facials, body scrubs, each others toes and nails, have a pillow fight (lol j/k). Rent some good girl movies..

If you google bride games etc. you will find a lot of cool games you can play with the bride that night

order a stripper and get plastered. Make the motel regret accepting you

Get a Psychic and have a Psychic party. You all get readings and its fun and different. What bride doesn't want to know what her future holds.

Just go out to a nice place for dinner and turn in early after all the next day is going to be busy.

Do the last finishing touches on everything (im sure the bride has a ton of stuff to do)

Get a photographer and have a Boudoir photography sessions.

Not all bridesmaids do this. It may be an old tradition, but in the weddings I've been in, we've all stayed together because it was convenient (we were coming from out of town and in the same hotel anyway) and fun.

However, at the most recent wedding I was in, the bride slept in her apartment - she definitely wanted a good night's sleep in her own bed - and the bridesmaids stayed at a hotel in separate rooms (we each brought boyfriends/husbands - would have been pretty awkward staying together!).

I don't think it's a tradition, but we did that. For me, I didn't want to be alone that night before my wedding. I wanted to be surrounded by my favorite women. That's an emotional time, and for me, I am really sentimental, and being all alone would have made me think too much (I was sort of blue about having to move out of my parents' place, since we are really close).

What we did was after we all got back from the rehearsal dinner, we all came to my room-groomsmen and bridesmaids-and bought big tubs of ice cream and actually passed the ice cream around the group and we all just ate with spoons and hung out-and it was a REALLY fun time. Then, at about 11:45, the groomsmen got up and escourted my man out-and then the girls and I stayed up for a few more hours, and waited for one bridesmaid who wasn't getting in till 1am (Late flight)...

It's fun. It'll give the bride a chance to have some girl time, and a chance for you to have some extra quality time with your friend.

No need to do anything special. Just be there! :)

(And make sure someone of the bridal party sees to it that you guys all eat breakfast-that is really important, since there's a good chance that the bride won't have the time/appetite to eat dinner!). One of my girls surprised me and left before I woke up and hit up a Starbucks and brought back my favorite coffee drink and my favorite scone. It was a wonderful surprise.

I've never heard of this tradition, me personally, I want to be alone the night before my wedding. I want peace and quiet, and serenity, and i would never spend the night at a hotel the day before my wedding unless it was out of town.I guess for some people it would be fun, but not for me, my bridesmaids will be at their own houses.

I've never personally been involved in a wedding like that but if the bride wants you to stay with her and you do not have any other plans, go ahead.

I stayed by myself the night before my wedding in my apartment. I'm a bit more independent, though, than some people and do not need others around me constantly.

People will make anything a custom, even if it isn't. This is garbage. The only reason why bridesmaids would stay with the bride the night before is because the family is putting them up because they do not live nearby. There is no other reason. Wedding preparations should already be complete.

my maid of honor is staying with me the night before and I think my fiance is staying here too. we are meeting for holy day mass on our wedding day then off to get changed and ready. we have about 1.5 hours to get dressed and ready ... I think thats enough time.

my MOH and I are going to go out to breakfast that morning as a calming event for the two of us.

I've never seen that but I understand it. I guess to support the bride and when she can't sleep to drug her. lol. NO! just kidding. But seriously, she'll be nervous and excited and some support is good! I'm sure you guys will have plenty of fun. Don't keep her up too late. lol

Because the groom cant see the bride before the wedding so the bridesmaids take her to a motel for the night and do girl things Congrats and have fun (we got one with a hot tub)

I have kind of heard of this before. It was more of a company on her last night alone/at her parent's house kind of thing. I don't think it is a big deal unless it is also the bachelorette party.

to help get the bride ready for the wedding the next day so that she doesnt have to hunt all f her bridesmaids up.

Just a tradition

I've never heard of that and it doesn't make sense to me. I would imagine so that everyone is able to get ready together?

I have never heard of such a thing!

it's all about the culture

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bride © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner